Unfortunately, animal abandonment is a huge problem in Logan County. Thanks to Friends of Guthrie Animals (FOGAS), Guthrie has an active group of pet rescuers to help with this problem. This week Dr. Anna Coffin wants to tell you about this amazing group and how you can help with animal abandonment.
Guthrie resident, Von Coburn, founded Friends of Guthrie Animals in 2000. It was originally started to help fund spay and neutering for low-income families. 2.7 million adoptable dogs and cats are euthanized in the United States every year because they do not have homes. This is the results of unplanned litters and could have been prevented by spaying and neutering.
- In just six years, one female dog and her offspring can produce up to 67,000 puppies that would need care.
- In just seven years, one female cat and her offspring can produce over 370,000 kittens that would require care.
As you can see from the above statistic, it doesn’t take long for the pet population to get out of control. In the early years, Friends of Guthrie Animals obtained funding from The Bob Barker Foundation for several years to help assist with their spay and neuter program. Around $40,000 worth of funding came from The Bob Barker Foundation and helped spay and neuter many animals in Logan County. Unfortunately, The Bob Barker Foundation discontinued the program.
As funding increased, Friends of Guthrie Animals wanted to do more and began assisting with animal abandonment. Guthrie Pet Hospital assists with the care of most of these animals. The staff and doctors donate their time and many resources to help reduce the cost of care so that more lives can be saved.
How can you help with animal abandonment?
- Spay and neuter your pets! If you need financial assistance, fill out a FOGAS application
- Microchip and tag your pet. Many of the animals found by Friends of Guthrie Animals are not from animal abandonment. They are animals that have escaped from loving homes. We can help return your pet home sooner with permanent identification.
- Donate to FOGAS.
- Become a FOGAS member
- Become a Foster parent. Guthrie Pet Hospital can hold pets for only a few days because we are running a business and have limited space. Once these animals have been vet checked, we need people to foster them until their owner can be found or they are adopted.
- Adopt a shelter or rescued pet
- Like Friends of Guthrie Animals, Inc Facebook page. Share posts on this page to help us return pet home or find them forever homes.
- Donate resources. Resources vary from time to time but can include crates, bedding supplies, pet food and much more. Even donating your time to help assist with rescues as many of these of last-minute emergency situations. You may have special talents or skills that could benefit FOGAS such as accounting, investment, lawyer, graphic design, etc. that could be invaluable.
- Attend the annual FOGAS fundraiser – Bow Wow Luau!
This Saturday, April 14, 2018. Friends of Guthrie Animals is holding their main fundraiser of the year called the Bow Wow Luau. For just $10.00/person you can have a delicious meal and bid on many silent and live auction items. I hope to see you there!