Due to a 2011 EPA regulation, household rat poisons such as d-CON are changing their active ingredient from a second- generation (long-acting) anticoagulant to a first-generation (short-acting) anticoagulant. These changes are rolling out this year. Because rat poison is one of the most common toxicities that we see in veterinary medicine, it’s important to understand the consequences this will have on your pet.
The manufacturers of rat poisons had a choice of a hand full of active ingredients that are considered first-generation anticoagulants. Unfortunately, the safest product was not effective at killing mice. That left only two other products two choose from for their active ingredient. One is a toxin that affects the neurological system and has no antidote, and the other is cholecalciferol, also known as Vitamin D. Neither choice is a good one for our pets, but the lesser of the two evils is cholecalciferol.
What are the signs of cholecalciferol rat poison?
- Increased thirst
- Increased urination
- Decreased appetite
- Ammonia smell to the breath
Unfortunately, it only takes a small amount to poison your pet. It can take several days before you will notice these signs in your pet. The damage is irreversible and causes chronic kidney failure. Therefore, it is of utmost importance to treat your pet very shortly after ingestion of these products.
How to treat cholecalciferol rat poison?
The best way to treat cholecalciferol is immediately purging the product from your pet’s stomach before it gets digested into their bloodstream. Once in the bloodstream, it can be present for more than 15 days and continue to damage your pet’s kidneys. If it’s too late for purging the product from your pet’s stomach aggressive intravenous fluid therapy and monitoring your pet’s blood work for changes in calcium and kidney function is imperative to try and prevent further damage.
The only saving grace with this new change in product is they are packaging the product different which makes it harder for your pet to ingest. The new product is considered a soft bait that is the consistency of play dough and is packaged in plastic. These soft baits then need to be placed in a bait station where the mouse will enter, chew through the plastic and ingest the product. Some manufacturers are doing their best to make the bait stations dog and child resistant, but unfortunately, a large determined dog could probably get it opened. Please be aware that when you purchase the product, they usually contain additional soft baits so that you can reload the bait station, and this is the packaging that is easily accessible to your pet.
Dr. Coffin and the staff at Guthrie Pet Hospital do not recommend you use these products at all! If you have to use these products, place them in a secure spot in your home where to pet doesn’t have access. Contact us immediately if you have an emergency.
This weekend is a rite of passage. We set our clocks forward an hour and our season to spring. Any fear of oversleeping is quickly replaced with the extended sunlight at the end of our day and the promise of warmer weather. Spring cleaning, preparing gardens, sprucing up around the house, and thoughts of travel get us through the last few weeks of cold weather, but each one of those activities has hidden dangers for our pets. Learn some pet safety tips for this coming spring.Continue…
Green leaves. The smell of freshly cut grass. The burst of color from lilies and daffodils and iris. Spring. It just makes you happy, doesn’t it? And well it should. Spring is a time of renewal and hope and new life. For the most part, at least. But it also can hold many dangers for our pets, things we miss in our excitement to get our lawns in shape or our pool up and running. Yes, Spring is and should be a time of joy, but it should also be a time of caution. This week learn five spring pet safety tips. Continue…
Lost and found pets are a common occurrence. Do you know what to do when you find a pet? Dr. Coffin recommends using caution when approaching an animal that you do not know, especially if they are injured. Continue…
By Stefani Fortney ABDT, groomer and trainer The holiday season is upon us. For us human-types, this time of year can be great. Presents, fancy meals, decorations, nostalgia, and family all come together to give us the warm fuzzies. For our pets, though, the holidays can be a time of major stress. So, as you prepare to celebrate with friends and family, try to ensure that your pets enjoy the holidays as much as you do with these holiday safety tips. Continue…