Benjamin Franklin nailed it when he said: “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” It’s 15 times more expensive to treat for heartworms than it is to prevent. Heartworm medication is available in several different forms.
Heartworms were first identified in 1697. Unfortunately, a daily heartworm medication wasn’t discovered until 1962. Missing a single daily dose could put your dog at risk for developing heartworms. Finally, in 1987 ivermectin was marketed as a once-a-month heartworm medication. See the American Heartworm Society for a more detailed history of heartworms.
- Heartworm prevention is safe.
- Heartworm prevention is extremely effective
- Heartworm prevention is inexpensive
- When administered appropriately, heartworms can be complete prevented
Heartworm medication is available in several different forms and many commercial products are available. Monthly tablets and chewable are the most common forms of heartworm preventative that are used today. For those pets that don’t like to take a pill or treats several topical products are available. There is also an injectable medication that can be given by your veterinarian every 6 months to prevent heartworms.
The heartworm medication available today works by interrupting heartworm development before adult worms reach the lungs and cause disease. Missing a single dose can put your pet at risk for developing heartworms. It’s important to test your dog annually for heartworm, even if your dog is on heartworm prevention every month. [Tweet “Missing a single dose of heartworm medication can put your pet at risk for developing heartworms. “]
Guthrie Pet Hospital offers a variety of heartworm medication:
- Heartgard Plus: A chewable treat that needs to be given every 30 days for heartworm prevention, roundworms, and hookworms.
- Iverhart Plus: This is a generic product of Heartgard Plus
- Trifexis: A chewable tablet that needs to be given every 30 days for heartworm and flea prevention. It also treats roundworms, hookworms, and whipworms.
- Revolution: A topical product that needs to be given every 30 days for heartworm and flea prevention. It also treats roundworms, hookworms, and Sarcoptic mange.