Guthrie veterinary hospital discusses flea control.
Did you know that a single flea can bite your pet 400 times a day, drink more than its body weight in blood and produce hundreds of eggs each day? Besides causing skin and allergy issues fleas can transmit tapeworms to your pet. When you see fleas on your pet, you are only seeing 5% of their population. The other 95%, (consisting of eggs, larvae and pupae) are living in the environment, such as your carpet, couch and grass. Weather permitting, new adult fleas emerge every 2 weeks. Here are some key steps to successful flea control from a Guthrie veterinary hospital.
The first step in flea control is getting them off your pets. It is very important to make sure that you are treating all the pets in your household even if they aren’t showing any signs of discomfort from fleas. The most effective method for flea control is purchasing a monthly product from your Guthrie veterinary hospital because over the counter flea control products are not as potent. In fact, some of these over the counter flea products are even toxic if administered incorrectly or given to the wrong species. This Guthrie veterinary hospital personally recommends a product called Comfortis. This is an oral product that starts killing fleas in 30 minutes, they are all dead within 4 hours and it continues to work for 30 days. It’s compounded from a natural substance that was found on beaches. An even better product is Trifexus, which is Comfortis combined with a heartworm prevention. However, it’s very important to make sure your pet has been heartworm tested before starting this product.
Once your pets have been treated it is important to treat your environment. This is the hardest element of flea control. It’s important to disrupt the flea life cycle so that the flea eggs, larvae and pupae don’t continue to develop into adult fleas. The eggs, larvae and pupae live in dark or shady area of your house and yard. It’s important to wash all pet bedding, vacuum carpets, especially under furniture and in closets, and wash area rugs. Treat your house and yard with an insecticide or better yet, hire a professional exterminator.
Fleas love hot and humid weather which is exactly what we are experiencing here at a Guthrie veterinary hospital. So be proactive and treat your pets and their environment before a medical condition arises. If you pet is itching or has hair loss take them to your veterinarian and get them some relief.
Dr. Anna was born and raised in Guthrie, Oklahoma. As a teenager, Dr. Anna found her beloved pet dead on the side of the road left to die without any help. That was the moment she decided to become a vet and vowed to help other people and their pets. After a few years of practicing in New Hampshire, Dr. Anna became homesick and decided to return to Guthrie to be with her parents and five other siblings. Family and friends are a major part of our lives which is why we treat our clients as family. Dr. Anna and her husband do not have children but our very proud pet parents and therefore, treat every four legged friend as part of the family.