Arthritis in dogs is best treated using a combination of different therapies. Non steroidal anti inflammatory (NSAID) medications are commonly used as pain medication for dogs. However, these drugs have some bad side effects. Now there is a new option that is safe and effective.
Dr. Anna Coffin recommends treating arthritis as soon as mild symptoms are noticed. There are many supplements that can help slow the progression of arthritis and prolong having to start your dog on NSAIDS.
Side effects of NSAIDS:
- gastrointestinal upset (vomiting and diarrhea)
- stomach ulcers
- can not be given with steroids
- liver damage
- kidney damage
- clotting disorders
NSAIDS that are specifically made for dogs are effective but expensive. Because of the potential side effects, blood work should be performed prior to long term administration and should be performed every 6 months. Unfortunately, this adds to the expense of pain medication for dogs.
CanineActiv is a supplement that helps relieve pain and inflammation. Its active ingredient is a product called Alpha-Gee that helps promote healing and repair of damaged tissue in all breeds of dogs. Alpha-Gee is made of naturally occurring amino acids that are found in natural sources. In fact, this same product is becoming the #1 alternative for pain medication in humans.
Last week Dr. Anna Coffin wrote about how to evaluate the effectiveness of dog supplements. Let’s see how CanineActiv fairs on those 5 factors:
- Price: CanineActiv is available in 3 different sizes for small, medium and large breed dogs. Each bottle contains 90 capsules and costs $26-$30. Compared to other products used as pain medication for dogs, CanineActiv is fairly inexpensive. Depending on the dose you give your dog it will cost you about $1/day.
- Verification of ingredients: To ensure consistency and quality of its products, Vireo Systems manufactures CanineActiv in a GMP and HACCP compliant facility.
- Ingredient list: Alpha-Gee is the 1st ingredient in CanineActiv! This product only contains Alpha-Gee and a proprietary blend of homeopathic anti-inflammatory drugs.
- Efficacy: CanineActiv has lots of personal testimonials about the efficacy of its product which is also backed with scientific research performed by a group of veterinarians.
- Manufacturer reputation: Vireo Systems Inc., the manufacturer of CanineActiv, was established in 2002. Thy have been producing the human pain reliever, AminoActiv, since 2007, which also uses Alpha-Gee. However CanineActiv was first introduced in 2013. They have worked with a university veterinary school in the development of this product. Vireo Systems Inc. also gives back to the pet community by sponsoring The Expert Vet on Radio Pet Lady. They also partnered with Adopt-A-Dog in Armonk, NY for a special online event in November.
CanineActiv works fast, has no known side effects and 100% satisfaction guarantee. Next time you’re looking for pain medication for dogs check out CanineActiv.[Tweet “CanineActiv works fast, has no known side effects and 100% satisfaction guarantee. “]
I am being compensated for helping spread the word about CanineActiv, but Dr. Anna only shares information she feel is relevant to our readers. Vireo Systems Inc. is not responsible for the content of this article.
If you have an Ask Dr. Anna question you would like answered, please post them in the comment section. Stay up to date on all the latest by subscribing to my blog. Also “like” me on Facebook.
Dr. Anna was born and raised in Guthrie, Oklahoma. As a teenager, Dr. Anna found her beloved pet dead on the side of the road left to die without any help. That was the moment she decided to become a vet and vowed to help other people and their pets. After a few years of practicing in New Hampshire, Dr. Anna became homesick and decided to return to Guthrie to be with her parents and five other siblings. Family and friends are a major part of our lives which is why we treat our clients at Guthrie Pet Hospital as family. Dr. Anna and her husband do not have children but are very proud pet parents and therefore, treat every four legged friend as part of the family.