12 Christmas Pet Poison And Dangers!

Pet Christmas poison

With the holiday season quickly approaching, we are all busy decorating, cooking, and gathering gifts that could be dangerous to your pet.  It’s important to be aware of potential pet poison and dangers and keep them up and away from your pets.

Christmas pet poison:

1.  Alcohol:  Some of us need to drink to put up with our relatives, some drink to celebrate with our relatives and some spike the drinks to get others drunk.  Animals are more sensitive to ethanol than people so a small amount can cause significant problems.   Drinks spiked with milk products are especially enticing to our pets.

2.  Bread dough:  When unbaked bread dough containing yeast enters the warm stomach environment it will begin to expand and can cause bloat in your pet.  In addition, as the yeast multiplies it produces alcohols which can cause alcohol poisoning in your pet.

3.  Chocolate:  Theobromide is the pet poison in chocolate.  This chemical is similar to caffeine.  The most common symptom of chocolate poisoning is vomiting, diarrhea, agitation, and hyperactivity.   The amount of theobromide varies depending upon the type of chocolate.  For instance, baking chocolates can contain 130-450mg of theobromide/ounce, milk chocolates contain 44-58mg/ounce and white chocolate has 0.252mg/ounce. 

4.  Nuts:  According to VPI, walnut ingestion is one of the most common claims for toxin ingestion.  Macadamia nuts contain an unknown poison that can cause neurological symptoms which can persist for 48 hours but is unlikely to be fatal to your pet.

5.  Tinsel/String:  This is particularly common in cats because the barbs on their tongues cause the string to continue down into their digestive system.  Tinsel or string from wrapping paper can cause a string foreign body.  The string causes the intestines to bunch together and if left undetected can actually “saw” through the intestinal tract cause more complications.

6.   Broken glass:  Your pet may step on a piece of broken glass from a Christmas tree ornament or worse, ingest a piece of the glass and cause laceration anywhere along their intestinal tract. 

7.  Christmas trees:  Fir trees contain oils that can mildly irritate your pet’s mouth and cause excessive salivation.  Trees are non-digestible items and therefore can cause intestinal obstruction if enough is eaten.

8.  Holiday plants:  Christmas plants that can poison your pet include Mistletoe, Holly, Lilly’s and Poinsettia.

9.  Grapes and raisins:  Grapes and raisins are known to cause kidney failure in dogs.   Scientist are still unsure what poison is in grapes and raisins that causes kidney failure.  It’s also interesting to note that some dogs can eat grapes or raisins without causing any harm while other dogs only eat a few and develop a life-threatening disease.

10.  People food:  Some fruits and vegetables are appropriate to feed your pet, but most food on your plate is a big no-no.  Food from our plates is usually much higher in fat and can cause pancreatitis.

11.  Electrical cords:  House and tree lights equal more electrical cords that your pets have access to.  Electrocution can cause severe mouth burns, pulmonary edema, and even death.

12.  Candy:  Xylitol is a deadly poison that is found in sugar-free candy.  Ingestion of xylitol can cause a rapid decrease in blood sugar in your pet, which can lead to seizures and death.

California Poison Control has a larger list of holiday hazards.   Guthrie Pet Hospital offers 24-hour emergency service.  You can contact Dr. Coffin after hours by calling Guthrie Pet Hospital and following the prompts.

 

border decoration
border decoration