I Think My Pet Has Been Poisoned

poisonedEvery year thousands of pets are poisoned by accidental ingestion of household poisons.  March 20-26, 2016 is National Pet Poison Prevention Week.  Dr. Anna Coffin will discuss a general overview of pet poisoning so that you can be prepared.

 

 

 

 

Common signs that your pet has been poisoned:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Drooling
  • Not eating
  • Coughing or vomiting blood
  • Weakness or collapse

If you think your pet has been poisoned contact your veterinarian or the Pet Poison Helpline immediately.  Do not wait and see what happens.  The sooner you treat your pet, the more likely more pet will fully recovery.

You can be prepared at home to help you pet by having these common items readily available.  Please check with your veterinarian or the Pet Poison Hotline before starting treatment of any kind.  Initiating treatment at home, before traveling to the nearest veterinarian, may be the difference between life and death.

  • Benadryl® – with no other combination ingredient
  • Corn syrup
  • 3% hydrogen peroxide – do not give to cats or brachycephalic dog breeds.
  • Oral dosing syringe, bulb syringe or turkey baster to administer hydrogen peroxide
  • Ice pack
  • Contact saline solution

Top 10 common dog poisons:

  • Chocolate
  • Rat poisons
  • Vitamins and minerals
  • NSAIDS (ibuprofen, aspirin, naproxen)
  • Heart medications
  • Cold and allergy medications
  • Antidepressants
  • Xylitol
  • Tylenol
  • Caffeine Pills

Top 10 cat poisons:

  • Topical flea/tick medications
  • Household cleaners
  • Antidepressants
  • Lilies
  • Insoluble oxalate plants (g., Dieffenbachia, Philodendron)
  • Human and veterinary NSAIDS
  • Cold and flu medications (Tylenol)
  • Glow sticks
  • ADD/ADHD medication
  • Rat poisons

Preventing your pet from contact with these common household items is the best medicine.  However, if your pet is poisoned, getting your pet to vomit by using hydrogen peroxide and getting the poison out of your pet’s stomach before it is absorbed may be the only treatment necessary.  Certain caustic items, such as gasoline, detergents, and oils, can cause more damage if vomiting is induced.  These items will need to be neutralized and treated by your veterinarian.

If an emergency occurs outside Guthrie Pet Hospital’s normal business hours, please call us immediately at (405) 282-8796. Dr. Anna will consult with you over the phone and is available to see your pet at the hospital if necessary.

Preventing-Pet-Poisonings-Infographic

border decoration
border decoration