PetCo and PetSmart are finally taking Jerky treats made in China off their shelves. Dr. Coffin says… It’s about time! Here is an update on the FDA’s investigation.
Chicken, duck and sweet potato jerky treats imported from China have been making pets ill since 2012. If you are feeding your dog this type of product please make sure it is made in the United States![Tweet “Chicken jerky treats still causing illness in dogs. Buy made in USA!”]
Case numbers: As of May 1, 2014
- Total of 4,800 complaints of illness
- These complaints have affected 5,600 dogs, 24 cats and 3 people
- More than 1,000 dogs have died
- 60% of the cases reported gastrointestinal/liver disease
- 30%$ of the cases reported kidney or urinary disease
- 10% of the cases include neurologic, dermatologic or immunologic symptoms
- Low levels of antibiotics were detected in 2012
- Some samples that were sold over a year ago contained a human anti-viral drug
- Neither one of these substances should be present in these products but the FDA does not believe that these drugs are contributing to the illness reported.
- FDA continues to devote significant resources to this investigation.
If your pet has experienced signs of illness that you suspect is related to jerky pet treats, please report it to FDA. While FDA does not necessarily respond to every individual complaint submitted, each report is valuable and becomes part of the body of knowledge that helps to inform our investigation.
If you have an Ask Dr. Anna question you would like answered, please post them in the comment section. Stay up to date on all the latest by subscribing to my blog. Also “like” me on Facebook.
Dr. Anna was born and raised in Guthrie, Oklahoma. As a teenager, Dr. Anna found her beloved pet dead on the side of the road left to die without any help. That was the moment she decided to become a vet and vowed to help other people and their pets. After a few years of practicing in New Hampshire, Dr. Anna became homesick and decided to return to Guthrie to be with her parents and five other siblings. Family and friends are a major part of our lives which is why we treat our clients at Guthrie Pet Hospital as family. Dr. Anna and her husband do not have children but are very proud pet parents and therefore, treat every four legged friend as part of the family.